Job description: Executive Director, El Centro Humanitario para los Trabajadores (Humanitarian Center for Workers)
El Centro Humanitario is Denver’s unique day laborer organization that defends the rights of casual and nonstandard workers (laborers and domestic workers) through direct organizing, policy change and workforce development. Founded by workers and community advocates in 2002, El Centro provides a cutting edge labor advocacy organization that seeks economic justice, immigrant rights and economic development for immigrant day laborers and low wage workers.
El Centro Humanitario promotes the rights and well-being of day laborers in Colorado through education, job skills and leadership development, united action and advocacy. Our goals are to develop a sense of community and self sufficiency among workers and to foster worker ownership over El Centro.
El Centro Humanitario is looking for a new executive director who will be responsible for the sustainable growth and overall management of the organization to enhance the mission of El Centro Humanitario.
I. Visionary Leadership and Program Development
1. Assure that the organization has a visionary long term strategy that is both mission-based and sustainable.
2. Promote active leadership by worker members in all areas of the organization’s work and assist program staff in carrying out the program goals and implementation.
3. Lead with a management style that is consistent with El Centro’s belief in creating a democratic workplace that develops the leadership of worker leaders, staff and volunteers.
4. Provide leadership in developing programs, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
5. Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
6. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
II. Fiscal Management and Development/Fundraising
1. Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
2. Work with the staff, treasurer and the board in preparing a budget and implement the financial policy.
3. Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
4. Be responsible for the overall fundraising plans and implementation including events, individual donations and grant writing (private foundations, state/federal grants) to ensure that the organization continues to grow in a sustainable manner.
5. Be responsible for growing and sustaining individual donors through ongoing relationship building and active meetings with supporters to ensure that all donors/supporters receive appropriate and timely information about the organizational work/campaigns.
6. Be responsible for developing an internal administrative system to ensure that all board members and staff of the organization actively participate in fundraising efforts and carry out their duties in fundraising activities.
III. Communication and Community Relationship
1. Ensure that El Centro Board is not only kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it but also develop an infrastructure for
El Centro’s board members to actively participate in enhancing the mission of the organization.
2. Promote community and volunteer engagement in all areas of the organization.
3. Publicize and promote the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
4. Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups, governmental staff and the general public.
5. Create a healthy external communication system to ensure that the messages of organizational work and campaigns have consistent and coherent messages to the larger general public.
IV. Supervision of Staff
1. Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
2. Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
3. Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
a. Demonstrated commitment to social justice work and strong leadership skills.
b. At least five years of management or leadership experience as an executive director of an organization or as a senior management staff at an organization with a budget of $250,000 or higher.
c. At least five years of proven experience in fundraising and grant-writing (private, state/federal grants, individual donors).
d. Proven experience in building relationships with board members, volunteers, community members and community organizations.
e. Experience/background in community organizing, labor, or immigration work.
f. Excellent communication skills including excellent verbal and written skills.
g. Bi-Lingual (English-Spanish) a must.
h. Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and tasks effectively.
i. Excellent interpersonal skills.
j. Bachelor’s degree with graduate degree preferred or relevant experience in a related field.
Salary and compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical benefits, pension, vacation and sick leave.
Deadline to apply: June 4, 2010
Ideal Starting date of employment: Between August 1, 2010 and August 15, 2010.
Application packet: cover letter, resume, three references and a writing sample that answers the following three questions. The writing sample should not exceed three pages.
1. What is your philosophy of social change and community organizing?
2. What is your experience with development and fundraising (including private, state/federal, individual donors/grassroots fundraising, special events and other)?
3. What is your experience working with immigrants and worker rights?
All application materials should be sent to email@example.com.
El Centro Humanitario is an Equal Employment Opportunity workplace. People of color, LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) people, bilingual people, women, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.